Folk Music Programs for ChildrenFor a number of years, the Society was proud to sponsor an educational outreach program for school children. The program, which was customized for children ranging from 1st grade through high school, was designed to present an introduction to American folk music. Volunteer representatives from the Society worked with the music teaching staff to integrate the folk music program into their music education curriculum. Upon making the appropriate arrangements with school administrators and teaching staff, Society artists often traveled to the schools, either during or after normal school hours, to perform a nominally 1-hour program. The session was interactive, involving the children in both song as well as playing instruments.
The content included - what is folk music, the origins and musical characteristics of some common American folk instruments, voice and harmonies in singing folk music and singing along, and a brief history of some of the greatest American-born folk song writers and live performance of a couple songs, such as "This Land is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie.
We Need Volunteers:The interactive in-school program has been put on hold, as our program leaders have retired. If you are interested in helping us in any way to restore this in-school program, please contact Bob Miller.
Past ActivitiesBelow are examples of past educational programs and concerts that the Society has provided for children.
- Calypso Elementary School, Bethlehem
- Clearview Elementary School, Bethlehem
- Hillside School, Allentown
- Saucon Valley Elementary School, Hellertown
- Discovery Days (Folk Music and Instrument Building), Mayfair Festival, Allentown
- Girl Scout Worldwide Weekend (teaching sing-a-long), Poconos
- Artists in Action (instrument building and song), Mayfair Festival, Allentown
Past Shows Strictly for Elementary School Children:
- Children's Crayola Factory Sing-a-Longs, Easton
- Children's Guild Show, Bethlehem Ice House
- Children's Concert at Rose Garden Festival, Bethlehem
- Mayfair, Children's Concert, Allentown
- Morning Call Children's Christmas Concert, Allentown
- Musikfest Children's Concert, Banana Island, Bethlehem
- Girl Scout Sing-a-Long, Coopersburg GSA Camp
- Music and Stories for Children Series, Ice House, Bethlehem
- Saturday's Child Series, Bethlehem
Future Educational ProgramsThe Society would like to develop a more comprehensive and virtual educational outreach program which can be marketed on-line and offered to children of all ages. "Folk Music Americana", as we have named it, would comprise a history of the evolution of American folk music from the Revolutionary War Period through the Folk Revival Period of the 1960s.
An additional topic would include the origin, playing styles, evolution and demonstrations of many of the musical instruments used in American folk music; for example, the banjo, the guitar, the ukulele, the dulcimer, and the slide guitar.
CONTACT USIf you are interested in helping us restore our Children's Program or joining us to create a virtual educational experience for kids, contact Bob Miller:
Phone: 484-553-0674; E-mail: email@example.com